Wednesday, July 3, 2013

ALA 2013

Hi all!
I went to the exhibits on Monday with Rachael and it was my first time at ALA. It was pretty exciting to walk around and see how much there was to look at, and to be able to recognize all the different publishers or vendors that we've worked with/ordered from on some level.The highlight of the day was meeting two of my childrens literary idols, Mac Barnett and Jon Klassen. Talk about geeking out!! I couldn't stop smiling, and I'm sure I looked like a creep, but I was so excited to meet them and talk to them! I got an autographed copy of their book, "Extra Yarn" along with a picture with them. Some of the author lines were pretty epic.

Along with some free books and a Yoda pin, I tried to pick up a handful book discussion guides that we might be able to use for future book discussions, and well as some stuff on graphic novels. Most of the information I picked up was for Multicultural, Bilingual, and Spanish books for kids. When we start working on expanding and repaming our Spanish collection in Youth Services, I think Libros Books (www.librosbooks.com) is something we should definitely consider! They work with publishers directly in Mexico, so they are able to provide us with a large selection of books, either bilingual or originally in Spanish, that would be compeltely unavailable for us to order otherwise.

Hope everyone else also had a good time. Thanks!
~Amanda Lopez

No comments:

Post a Comment