Amanda and I visited countless booths and I am still processing the day but I'll share my most memorable moments:
- I may or may not have taken a picture of Ethan Long, author of Up, Tall and High! without him knowing.
- Amanda and I waited in line to meet Mac Barnett and Jon Klassen, author and illustrator of Extra Yarn, respectively. Jon Klassen is also the author and illustrator of the 2013 Caldecott winning picture book This Is Not My Hat. Talk about being star struck! We both had our books signed and we had a good laugh with Jon and Mac. We walked away with smiles across our faces and red cheeks hoping we just didn't embarass ourselves too much. (Sorry Amanda!)
- Exhibitors announcing free books or even better, free, authographed by the author books? Yes, please! I also managed to snag some cool buttons and pins and of course, pens.
- Visiting the Evanced area and seeing a demo of both Spaces and Sign-up. Wow! What a remarkable difference on both the staff and patrons' side. If I could quickly sum-up the difference between the old and new platforms, it would be that it seemed as though the old Evanced was really just a beta and the new Evanced is what you would expect to see from a company that is looking to be considered innovative. In Sign-up, you can create templates so you don't have to copy and paste your information every time you're creating a new event, which will help immensely with entering the storytimes. You can even embed videos, which I think would be great to use for promoting performers. I was also intrigued by Dibs! which uses a QR code which you post outside study rooms in the library so patrons can scan them with their smart phones and tablets and reserve a study room. They could even do it from home. I know that is something that I would use when going to a library to do homework!
- Findaway World, creators of the Playaway Views that have been so popular with our patrons, also make Playaway bookpacks, which are kits that offer collections of books on audio all in one player. Patti selects our kits and she was excited to hear that I grabbed information for her.
Thank you for the wonderful opportunity,